Every year, the Department of Ophthalmology of the Shupyk National Healthcare University of Ukraine conducts a cycle of specialization "Medical Optics (Optometry)" for junior specialists with medical education, who received a diploma in "Paramedic" or "Nursing", for retraining junior specialists with medical education in accordance with the requirements of the educational and qualification characteristics of the optometrist-specialist.
With the support of the Public Organization "All-Ukrainian Association" UKROPTYKA "on the main base of the Department of Ophthalmology" Universal Clinic "Oberig" created a training center, where students of cycles of thematic improvement and specialization, as well as interns trained at the Department of Ophthalmology skills of work with the corresponding equipment and tools, with diagnostic, optometric and ophthalmological equipment.
Every year within the framework of the scientific-practical conference with international participation "Refractive PLENARY" a number of master classes on examination of patients with refractive errors, presbyopia and other visual impairments, algorithm of optometric examination, selection of modern means of vision, which can be viewed at the links:
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSr5W4qTQmI – «CHALLENGE of biomicroscopy. Algorithms for diagnosis and treatment of the anterior segment of the eye in patients with glaucoma», doctor of medical sciences Professor Iryna Shargorodska;
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9ivrMwKxsM – «Astigmatism or dry eyes. Management of dry eye disease in the optometric practice of a specialist», Ivan Shkriblyak;
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzlbOVYg6c4 – «Dry eye disease management in surgical practice », Denys Nakonechnyi;
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-sKWeBBwiY – «And yet, how to choose multifocal soft contact lenses?», Ivan Shkriblyak;
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSvfQ_Bd7xM – «The road to success: how not to lose and attract new users of soft contact lenses», Tetyana Samoilyuk and Valerii Timofieiev;
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxIVxSQG2Xk – «Adjust with Bausch + Lomb», Tetyana Samoilyuk;
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V10D8V-8Lks – «How to treat dry eye», Ivan Shkriblyak.
After receiving special training, optometrists will be able to receive, consult, examine patients with refractive errors, presbyopia and prescribe correction, identify patients who need additional examination and treatment by an ophthalmologist, as well as refer patients to other levels of specialized medical care assistance for further treatment.
We need to remember that every patient after the age of 40 should be examined annually by an ophthalmologist and optometrist to detect refractive errors in a timely manner and to prevent the development of ophthalmic infusions.